Mount Falcon was originally built to gain a Women’s hand in marriage.
In the 18th century the North West area of Mayo was divided amongst two prominent English families : The Knox’s ( original owners of Mount Falcon Estate ) and The Gore’s ( whose residence is Belleek Castle in Ballina ). In those days these families generally tended to inter marry so that the lands given to them would be retained. John Fredrick Knox’s son Utred fell madly in love with Nina Gore of Belleek castle who was one of two daughters. Utred persisted in his pursuit of Nina and built a house that demonstrated his love for her.
In order to impress his bride 1871 Utred Knox commissioned the most fashionable architect in the British Isles at the time; James Franklin Fuller. James Fuller is the same architect who designed Kylemore Abbey, parts of Ashford Castle and Farmleigh House in The Phoenix Park. Mount Falcon is the only example of a private residence that James Franklin Fuller ever designed in Ireland.
Mount Falcon took 5 years to complete however at the time it was the most fashionable house in Ireland that Mrs. Gore gave her blessing for the union in marriage of her daughter Nina to Utred Knox.
In 1932 Major John and Constance Aldridge purchased Mount Falcon. They used it as a private residence until 1955 when they decided to open their doors to visitors and it soon got the reputation as one of Ireland’s premier shooting and fishing houses. Unfortunately the major died in 1976 but Constance continued to run the house up until 1999. Constance Aldridge was one of the founding member of the famous Blue Book.
The new owners, who include the Maloney family, restored, renovated and refurbished the original house and added on the new extension thus providing 32 bedrooms. This includes 2 suites, 4 deluxe rooms and 26 superior rooms. There are also 45, 3 and 4 bedroom lodges around the estate, a spring fed rainbow trout stocked lake and 2 miles of exclusive private fishing on Ireland's most prolific wild Atlantic salmon river – The Moy.